2014. augusztus 2., szombat

To take the dev job or not? Mostly male / 'brogrammer' vibe, little job information.


Hey everyone. Recently I was granted an interview on the basis of an employee's recommendation. I actually have only worked with his SO. The position is for front end coding and web graphic design, wireframing, etc.


Without giving away any personal details, I had an interview on Thursday at 2pm. At 10:45am on Friday, not even 24 hours later, I have an email from the owner (whom I met and interviewed with) stating they want to bring me on.


Ok. I am concerned for a few reasons:


1) No one asked or checked references.


2) I really do not know the daily role yet. There are many questions I reserve for a second interview.


3) Salary negotiation was the content of the email despite my having so little knowledge about the role!


4) I noticed that no one was smiling or looking really all that engaged/lively. The few women I walked past in the hallway were instead scowling.


5) Most of what was talked about was very positive, "look how chill we are" kind of things. Stuff like beer at 5pm, etc.


6) The owner mentioned that he frequently teased the male employees that they need to code like a girl. While I can see how he may think this is cute to say or encouraging to me, I felt instead it was very bro-grammer and maybe not my thing.


How do I respond to his email with the right questions to put these concerns to ease and ensure I am making a good move?


I have been independent for about 8 years, so going back to a full time employment is a tad scary in its own right. I fought hard for this independence, but money is tougher to come by than 2-3 years ago. However, there are some red flags I am worried about.


Thanks!






Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése